This page presents how to generate and compile the Preloadr, based on the handoff information from Quartus.
The following are required in order to be able to fully exercise the GSRD:
For detailed information about the Preloader Generator see SoC EDS User Guide
The procedure shown below uses the Cyclone V GHRD as an example. The procedure for Arria V GHRD is identical, with only file names being changed.
Generating the Preloader
1. Compile the GHRD as described in Compiling the Hardware Design
to obtain the handoff folder.
2. Start an Embedded Command Shell and go to GHRD folder (assumed here to be saved in the home folder):
$ cd ~/cv_soc_devkit_ghrd
3. Start the Preloader Generator aka BSP Editor
4. In the BSP Editor
, select File -> New BSP ...
5. In the New BSP
window, click the ...
browse button to browse to the handoff folder
6. Select the cv_soc_devkit_ghrd/hps_isw_handoff/soc_system_hps_0
folder and Click Open
7. The New BSP
window will have all the settings populated, based on the handoff folder. Accept the default settings and click OK
. This will close the window.
8. In the BSP Editor
window, edit any settings if necessary, then click Generate
9. The message panel on the bottom will indicate the status of the generation. Click Exit
to close the BSP Editor
The following items are generated in the cv_soc_devkit_ghrd/software/spl_bsp/
|| Folder containing source code that was generated based on the information from the handoff folder
|| Preloader settings file, that contains the settings from the Preloader Generator
|| Makefile used to build the Preloader
|| ARM DS-5 AE that can be used to load the Preloader
Compiling the Preloader
1. Start an Embedded Command Shell and go to the generated Preloader folder:
$ cd ~/cv_soc_devkit_ghrd/software/spl_bsp
2. Run make
command to build the Preloader image
The Makefile (also created by the Preloader Generator) performs the following steps:
- Extract the fixed part of the Preloader source code
- Build the Preloader executable using the fixed and the generated parts of the Preloader source code
- Convert the executable to binary, then add the bootROM required header on top of it
The following files are built in the cv_soc_devkit_ghrd/software/spl_bsp/
|| Preloader ELF file
|| Preloader binary file
|| Preloader image with the BootROM required header